Do you feel that cool autumn breeze whistling through the air? That’s right, fall is here. We’re wrapping ourselves in our favourite sweater and making a batch of our favourite Fall Minestrone. Taking advantage of hearty fall produce, with help from Crystal margarine, of course.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/4 lbs / 560 g / 8 medium Roma tomatoes
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Crystal margarine, divided
- 16 g / 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 150 g / 1 medium onion, diced
- 135 g / 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 160 g / 1 large carrot, diced
- 450 g / 3 cups peeled and cubed hard squash (acorn, butternut or buttercup)
- 3 g / 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 g / 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 g / 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 L / 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can / 19 oz can fava beans, drained and rinsed
- 250 g / 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 cups cooked orecchiette, or any other small pasta
- 6 g / 1 tsp salt
- 1 g/ 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° (190°C).
- Halve the tomatoes and and lay them, cut-side up, on a large baking sheet. Melt 1 tablespoon (14 grams) of Crystal margarine and drizzle over the tomatoes. Roast for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool. When cool enough to handle, chop tomatoes into 1 inch (2.5 centimetre) pieces and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Crystal margarine in a large pot, or dutch oven, over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook until soft; about 10 minutes.
- Add the squash, oregano, basil, bay leaf and cook; 2 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta until al dente according to package directions.
- Add the zucchini and fava beans and simmer 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, pasta, salt and pepper and simmer 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- If making ahead, prepare this soup without adding the pasta. Cook and add the pasta just before serving. Soup will keep well-covered, in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days.