You’ll have to forgive your family if you put this on the table and they think you’ve skipped right to dessert! Made with healthy and delicious sweet potatoes and rich, caramelized onions, it’s hard to believe this tasty tart is good for you. Slice it like a pie and serve it warm for satisfying comfort food that can’t be beat.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 1 ½ hours
- One recipe for Easiest Free-Form Apple Pie Recipe dough, chilled
- 58 g / ¼ cup Mirage Margarine, divided
- 454 g / 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves / 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 g / 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 6 g / 1 tsp salt, divided
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 375 g / 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed into ¾ inch (2 cm) pieces
- 1 g / ½ tsp chili flakes
- 90 g / ⅓ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt half the Mirage margarine in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook stirring occasionally for 30-35 minutes, or until onions are soft and caramelized. Stir in garlic, thyme and half the salt, cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in vinegar and reduce liquid by half; transfer mixture to a bowl and let cool.
- Melt remaining margarine. In a large bowl toss it with cubed sweet potato, remaining salt and chili flakes. Spread onto prepared baking sheet. Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Reduce oven to 375°F (190°C). Whisk together the egg and water in a small bowl to create an egg wash.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled pastry into a circle 13 inches (33 centimetres) in diameter; place on a large baking sheet.
- Spoon the onion mixture in the centre of the pastry, leaving a 1 1/2 inch (4 centimetre) border around the mixture, scatter sweet potatoes on top of onions, followed by the crumbled goat cheese. Brush the border lightly with egg wash.
- Fold the edge of the pastry up and over the edge of the filling, pleating the dough together tightly every few inches to create a rough circle.
- Brush the pastry with egg wash, and place in the oven. Bake until crust is golden; about 35-40 minutes.
- Remove tart from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes. Slice and serve warm.
- This dough recipe is also perfect for your favourite sweet pie recipe
For a sharper cheese taste, try switching out the goat cheese for some crumbled blue cheese