Gravy is such a holiday staple, we’d hate to forget it when we’re preparing a big dinner for our friends and family. This recipe is meant to get all of the goodness from gravy, with none of the meat. Pour as much as you like, and feel good about it!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 1/3 cups
- 360 ml / 1 1/2 cup sweet apple cider
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 76 g / 1/3 cup Crystal margarine, divided
- 140 g / 1 small / 1 cup onion, diced fine
- 150 g / 1 1/2 cup cremini mushroom, diced fine
- 2 cloves / 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 32 g / 1/4 cup flour
- 14 g / 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 300 ml / 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth, unsalted
- 9 g / 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 g / 1 tsp fresh sage
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- In a measuring cup, combine the apple cider with the apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Crystal margarine in a pan, over medium-high heat. Add the finely diced onions and sautée until golden in colour and translucent; 3 to 5 minutes. Add the finely diced cremini mushrooms and sautée until liquids are released and mushrooms are browned; about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sautée until fragrant; about 1 minute. Slowly pour in 1/2 cup (120 millilitres) of the apple cider mixture into mushrooms while constantly stirring to deglaze the pan. Remove from heat.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the remaining Crystal margarine with the flour. Stir constantly until flour becomes a deep golden colour, stir in the nutritional yeast.
- Quickly stir in the remaining apple cider into the roux until smooth. Transfer the mushroom mixture into the saucepan, stir to combine.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, salt, fresh sage, dried sage and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until thickened. Serve immediately.
- For a completely smooth gravy, process the sauce with a handheld blender.
- If using salted vegetable broth, season to taste.
- For a thicker gravy, simmer for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. For a thinner gravy, add an additional 1/4 cup (60 millilitres) of vegetable broth when stirring it in.