Apples are a hit with everyone when the colder days start to set in. Mix them with brown sugar, spice and a hint of ginger and there won’t be any left for seconds!
1 Recipe Vanilla Cake Batter
4 Honey crisp apples, peeled cored, and cut into 12 pieces per apple
225 gm / 1 cup Mirage Margarine, melted
215 gm / 1 cup Dark brown sugar
5 gm / 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
5 gm / 2 tsp Ground nutmeg
5 gm / 2 tsp Ground ginger
1 Lemon, juiced and seeds removed
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F(160°C).
- Coat the inside of a 12-inch round pan (3 inches deep) with Mirage Margarine. Line the bottom of the pan with a parchment circle, cut to size.
- Prepare the Vanilla Cake batter as directed, stopping at the point before dividing the batter into pans.
- In a separate large bowl, toss the apple wedges with the lemon juice, melted Mirage Margarine, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger until they are evenly coated.
- Take half of the coated apple wedges and mix them into the Vanilla Cake batter with a rubber spatula.
- Arrange the other half of the apple mixture and all the liquid into the bottom of the prepared pan, distributing the apples evenly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan over the apples until it is 1inch from the top; give the pan one or two taps on the edge of the counter to remove any large air bubbles. Excess batter can be baked as cupcakes or mini cakes.
- Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven. Place an empty baking sheet on the rack immediately below the pan. This will allow for more even heat distribution and baking of the cake.
- Bake the cake until it springs back lightly when pressed in the center, or a toothpick comes out clean, approximately 35-40 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan for a few minutes, then turn it out onto a resting rack to cool completely.
- For individual desserts or travel portions, this cake can be prepared in the same manner but baked in lined mufﬁn pans.
- Serve this cake as an impressive dessert with vanilla whipped cream and warm caramel sauce.