With spring finally in full swing, we’re starting to see a lot of great local produce starting to hit the shelves. Here is a perfect way to make the best of fresh Asparagus popping up across the country. These spears are perfect for parties with friends, or just an afternoon alone with a good book.
1 bunch Asparagus spears, bottoms removed and washed
1 recipe Mirage Puff pastry
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
½ cup Mirage margarine, melted
2 tsp Garlic, minced
2 tsp Thyme, fresh or dried
1 tsp Oregano, dried
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F(200C).
- Roll the puff pastry out on a floured surface into an 15cmx25cm.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into long, thin strips about 2cm wide.
- In a bowl, combine the melted margarine with the garlic, half of the parmesan, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cut the ends off your asparagus
- Gently place the asparagus into the bowl of seasoned margarine, and lightly toss to coat.
- Wrap one pastry strip in a spiral around each asparagus spear and place onto a baking tray.
- Lightly brush each with extra melted margarine, then scatter over the remaining parmesan.
- Bake the spears in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry has risen and is golden-brown all over.
- If you have any extra strips or pieces of puff pastry, coat them in the herbed margarine and bake them until golden for a savoury snack.
- Love bacon? Try rolling in thinly sliced prosciutto around the asparagus before wrapping the pastry around each spear.
- Try dipping these spears into your favourite salad dressing or a honey dijon at your next party, for a snack people will love.