Blueberries are a great fruit full of antioxidants and essential nutrients. They also have the ability to freeze really well, this means that you can freeze blueberries picked at the peak of their season and store them for use all year round. These muffins are a great way to highlight the delicious flavour that blueberries are known for.
112 gm / 1/2 cup Crystal Margarine
200 gm / 1 cup Granulated sugar
270 gm / 2 cups All-purpose flour
4 gm / 1/2 tsp Baking soda
4 gm / 1/2 tsp Salt
160 gm / 2/3 cup Sour cream
200 gm / 1 1/2 cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
Large flake oats for topping
Dark brown sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F(175C).
- In a large bowl, cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy with a hand held electric mixer, which takes approximately 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla, and continue creaming for another 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until combined.
- Add in the sour cream and blueberries and mix them in by hand with a rubber spatula. Doing this by hand allows you to keep the blueberries from getting too mashed up.
- Line a muffin tray with paper liners and fill 3/4 of the way with batter. If you still have extra batter remaining, put it into an air tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with brown sugar and oats, enough of each just to cover the tops. The brown sugar and oats not only make the muffins look magazine cover ready, they also add a delicious crunch to the top.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until the muffins spring back when pressed lightly in the centre with a fingertip and a wooden toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Un-mold muffins and serve them warm or at room temperature.
- Baked muffins will keep for 3 days when stored in an air tight container.
- Try adding in 2 tsp of ground cinnamon and the zest of one lemon to the dry ingredients for a new flavour experience.
- Like white chocolate? Try stirring in a cup of slivered almonds and 1 cup of white chocolate with the blueberries for a perfect sweet morning treat.