This salad is fresh, hearty, and flavourful. It’s perfect as a meal on its own, or as a side dish.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients for the salad
- 450 g / 6 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
- 100 g / 2 cups of your favourite bread, cut into 1″ (2.5 cm) cubes
- 70 g / 6 slices facon (soy-based veggie “bacon”)
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Crystal margarine, melted
- 15 g / 2 large garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tbsp)
- 2 g / 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1.5 g / 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 200 g / 1 large apple (any tart variety – we used gala), diced into 1/2″ (1 cm) pieces
- 55 g / 1/3 cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- fresh ground pepper
Ingredients for the dressing
- 56 g / 1/4 cup Crystal margarine, melted and cooled
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 6 g / 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 14 g / 1 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1.5 g / 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ (190℃) and line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli florets and blanch for two minutes. Drain broccoli in a large sieve and rinse under cold water. Suspend sieve over a bowl, and place in refrigerator to chill.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the melted margarine with 9 grams / 2 teaspoons of minced garlic (reserve the rest of the garlic for the dressing), thyme, and salt. Toss the bread cubes with the margarine mixture and spread out on half of the prepared baking sheet; on the other half of the baking sheet, lay out the 6 slices of facon. Roast for 18 minutes, flipping over the bread cubes and facon after ten minutes.
- Prepare the dressing while the croutons and facon are roasting. In a medium bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients except for the margarine, including the reserved minced garlic. Slowly add the margarine by pouring in a thin stream while continuously whisking.
- Remove the croutons and facon from the oven and allow to cool. Chop the facon into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large bowl toss together the broccoli, croutons, facon, and apple with the dressing. Sprinkle with almonds and fresh ground pepper and serve immediately.
- Blanching the broccoli for 2 minutes allows it to become bright green and slightly tender, removing the dry texture of raw broccoli.