Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 3 large onions (we used 2 Spanish and 1 red onion)
- 1/4 cup / 56 g Mirage margarine
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml apple cider vinegar
- 5 g / 1 tsp dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut off stem end of onion, place onion cut-side down, and slice lengthwise through the root. Peel each half and place flat side down. Slice each half into 1/4-inch (0.6 centimetre) wide strips. Repeat for the rest of the onions.
- Place a large skillet on medium heat and melt Mirage margarine. Add all of the sliced onions and stir to coat.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 35 – 45 minutes, stirring about every five minutes (onions will reduce greatly and become a translucent golden brown). Then stir in the vinegar, rosemary and brown sugar and cook another five minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and enjoy.
- After caramelizing, puréeing the onions in a food processor makes a delicious spread for crostini, sandwiches or pizzas.