Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/2 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 59 ml / 4 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 425 g / 15 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 59 ml / 1/4 cup water
- 1 g / 2 tsp cumin
- 1 g / 2 tsp chili powder
- 0.5 g / 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5 g / 1/2 tsp salt
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 120 g / 1/2 cup canned corn
- 62 g / 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Cut a slit through the entire length of each of the peppers and disregard the seeds. Place them on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, until the skins are softened and beginning to blister.
- Heat Crystal margarine in a small saucepan set over medium low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, until beginning to soften and turn translucent.
- Stir in black beans along with the water and corn.
- Add the spices. Stir, reduce the heat to low and simmer the beans for 15 minutes or until the water has reduced.
- Divide the black bean mixture and scoop into the red pepper halves. Top with shredded cheese
- Turn the oven up to broil (500°F / 260°C) and place on the middle rack of the oven.
- Broil for 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Garnish with fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream to taste.
- Feel free to use your favourite coloured pepper and other types of beans such as kidney or navy beans.