What do these Corn Dog Bites and ferris wheels have in common? They both remind us of the local county fair! These snacks are perfect for sharing with the entire family, and make for a down home reminder of warm summer evenings on the fairgrounds.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Yield: 48 mini muffins
- 125 g / 1 cup all purpose flour
- 217 g / 1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 25 g / 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 8 g / 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 g / 1 tsp salt
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp pepper
- 160 ml / 2/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 75 g / 1/3 cup Mirage margarine, melted and cooled
- 85g / 1 cup shredded Monterey or Pepper Jack Cheese
- 120 g / 4 hot dogs, cut into 1/2″ (1.3 cm) squares
- Preheat oven to 400°F (190°C). Grease mini-muffin tin, or line tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, salt, chili powder, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs.
- Add the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring until just mixed. Stir in the melted Mirage margarine.
- Fold in the cheese and the hot dog pieces.
- Divide among the prepared mini muffin tin, using one heaping spoonful of batter to fill each cup 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 10 – 12 minutes. Remove and cool for 15 minutes. Take the muffins out of the pan and place on a rack to cool completely.
- Serve with your favourite corn dog condiments.
- If desired, use veggie dogs or sausage instead of hot dogs.
- If you like spice, add in a finely chopped jalapeño!