Change up your weekly dinner routine with our delicious version of Chicken Paprikash. This classic Hungarian dish is made with a handful of vegetables, delicious spices, and sour cream to balance out the spice.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 43 g / 3 tbsp Mirage margarine
- 1 kg / 2 1/4 lbs chicken legs (about 4), split into thighs and drumsticks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 3/4″ (2 cm) squares
- 2 large garlic clove, minced
- 60 g / 1/4 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
- 8 g / 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 5 g / 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 g / 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 g / 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 g / 1 tsp dried thyme, or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 120 g / 1/2 cup regular sour cream
- salt to taste
- Melt the Mirage margarine over medium high heat in a skillet or Dutch oven large enough to hold the chicken without crowding. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook until softened and light brown, stirring occasionally to lift any browned bits in the bottom.
- Stir in the green peppers and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, paprika, flour, ground black pepper, caraway seeds, marjoram, and thyme and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Add the tomato and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover (use foil if there is no lid for the skillet) and allow to gently simmer for 45 minutes.
- Uncover paprikash and slowly whisk 1/2 cup of the hot paprikash liquid to the sour cream. Pour sour cream mix into the skillet and stir gently to combine.
- Season with salt to taste and enjoy over noodles, boiled potatoes, or rice. Top with more sour cream if desired.
- Paprika is the main flavouring in this dish, so be sure to use high quality Hungarian paprika. Store unused paprika in the freezer to maintain freshness and flavour.