A wholesome weeknight staple that’s easy to make, and even easier to enjoy! This Chicken Pot Pie is a comforting meal that can’t be beat when it comes to our family’s tastebuds. These pies aren’t just delicious pockets of goodness, though, your family will appreciate the additional boost of vitamin D you get when you’re baking with Mirage margarine, too!
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
For the crust:
- 281 g / 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp salt
- 151 g / 2/3 cup Mirage margarine
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup water
- 1 large egg, beaten
For the filling:
- 57 g / 1/4 cup Mirage margarine, divided
- 680 g / 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, thighs (or a combination of both)
- 300 g / 2 cups diced potato
- 150 g / 1 medium onion, diced
- 150 g / 1/2 medium fennel bulb, sliced
- 135 g / 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 140 g / 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 31 g / 1/4 cup flour
- 3 g / 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 g / 1 tsp dried mustard powder
- 360 ml / 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup milk
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp cup heavy cream
- 12 g / 2 tsp salt
- 2 g / 1 tsp pepper
- 1 large egg
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp water
For the crust:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- In a small saucepan, heat the Mirage margarine and water on medium heat until Mirage margarine is fully melted.
- Add the egg to the flour and, while stirring, pour over the hot Mirage margarine mixture. Stir continuously until flour is no longer visible. Gather dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate; 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, prepare the filling.
For the filling:
- In a skillet large enough to hold the chicken, without crowding, heat 1 tablespoon (14 grams) of Mirage margarine over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 7 minutes per side (if necessary, cook the chicken in batches). Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with aluminum foil. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat into large chunks.
- Melt 3 tablespoons (42 grams) of Mirage margarine in the same skillet. Add the potato, onion, fennel, celery and mushrooms, and cook, stirring frequently; 10 minutes.
- Add the flour, rosemary, thyme and mustard powder and cook; 3 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and milk and whisk well, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat and simmer; 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chicken, cream, salt and pepper. Pour the filling into an 8 cup (2 litre) casserole or pie dish. Set aside while rolling the crust.
How to assemble the Chicken Pot Pie:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water.
- Roll the chilled dough to 1/4 inch (0.5 centimetre) thickness, shaping it so that it is at least 2 inches (5 centimetres) larger than the circumference of the dish. Brush the rim of the dish with egg wash. Place the crust over the filling and trim crust so there is about a 1 inch (2.5 centimetre) overhang. Press well to adhere the crust to the outside of the dish. Brush top of crust with egg wash and cut a few slits for ventilation.
- Bake until filling bubbles and crust is golden brown; 40 – 45 minutes. Allow pie to rest 15 minutes before serving.
- Save time by using 3 cups of shredded store-bought rotisserie chicken.