Revisit a childhood classic in your very own kitchen. These homemade pastry pocket are a chocolatey delight!
Makes: 6 pastry pockets
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Rest Time: 2 hours
For the Dough
- 156 g / 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 66 g / 1/3 cup sugar
- 56 g / 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp salt
- 78 g / 6 tbsp cold Crystal margarine
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 45 g / 3 tbsp cold water
For the Filling
- 112 g / 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 76 g / 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 157 g / 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 0.5 g / 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 170 g / 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate, chopped
- 30 g / 2 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 8 g / 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 360 g / 2 cups powdered sugar
- 31 g / 4 tbsp meringue powder
- 4 g / 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 56 g / 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 44 g / 3 tbsp water
- 56 g / 1/4 cup dark or milk chocolate, melted
- coarse sugar or sprinkles for decoration
- Begin by making the filling. Stir together cocoa powder, brown sugar, cream, salt, and half of chocolate. Place in a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove pan from heat, add remaining chocolate, margarine, and vanilla and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool and thicken at room temperature.
- For the dough, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the 6 tablespoons of Crystal margarine and mix with your fingers until the mixture is crumbly.
- Gradually add the egg yolks, water, and vanilla extract until the mixture is moistened and a dough forms.
- Roll dough out to a 1/8″ thickness, working on a lightly floured surface.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into 4” x 3” rectangles. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling in the middle of each rectangle.
- Lay the other half of the dough over the filling and seal the edges by crimping with the back of a fork.
- Repeat until all of the dough has been used, saving the scraps and re-rolling them to make more rectangles.
- Bake the pastry pockets for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely.
- While the pastry pockets cool, make the frosting. Mix the powdered sugar, meringue powder, vanilla, cocoa powder, and 3 tablespoons of water for about 10 minutes on medium speed until peaks begin to form.
- Stir in the melted chocolate. Thin out the frosting 1 tablespoon of water at a time if necessary.
- Spoon a tablespoon of frosting on top of cooled pastry pockets. Allow frosting to harden 10 minutes then sprinkle with coarse sugar or sprinkles if desired.
- Place on a baking sheet and allow the tart to harden uncovered about 2 hours.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper to help keep it an even thickness.