This fibre-packed oatmeal is flavourful, yet easy enough to squeeze into a tight morning schedule. Cinnamon Brown Sugar Spread and fresh local apples combine to create a breakfast dish that tastes like pie, but has all the benefits of whole grain oats.
750 ml / 3 cup Water
30 g / 2 tbsp Cinnamon Brown Sugar Spread
210 g / 1 1⁄3 cups Quick cook oats
1 g / 1⁄4 tsp Salt
3 Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into wedges
60 g / 1⁄4 cup Crystal Margarine
30 g / 2 tbsp Brown sugar
5 g / 2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
1 large Lemon, juiced, seeds removed
10 g / 2 tbsp Icing sugar
- To prepare the apple compote, melt 1⁄4 cup of Crystal Margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the margarine begins to bubble, add the apples, stirring to coat them with margarine. Cook until the apples start to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Simmer just until the brown sugar is dissolved and the apples are soft. Remove from heat.
- Serve warm, or make ahead and serve chilled.
- To prepare the oats, bring the water, salt and Cinnamon Brown Sugar Spread to a boil in a medium pot. For extra flavour (and one less pot to wash) use the same pot that the apple compote was cooked in.
- Stir the oats into the simmering water. Return the water to a boil, and simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and fold in the prepared apples. Let the mixture sit for 2 minutes before serving.
- For a quick breakfast, make a large batch of the apple topping ahead of time and spoon it straight into a hot bowl of oats.
- This apple topping is perfect paired with waffles, pancakes or scones.