This classic chocolate frosting will become a go-to recipe for all of your cake decorating needs. Covered, this recipe will keep in the pantry for up to one week.
454 g 2 cups Mirage Margarine, room temperature
1 kg 4 cups Icing sugar, sifted
80 g ¼ cup Cocoa powder, sifted
120 g ¼ cup High quality dark chocolate, chopped
30 ml 2 tbsp 35% cream
2 g 1 tsp Instant coffee
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water. Once the chocolate is melted, turn off the heat and leave the bowl on top of the pot to keep the chocolate warm.
- Cream the Mirage Margarine in a separate large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed for 3 minutes, until smooth and ﬂuffy.
- Add the instant coffee to the creamed margarine, and continue mixing on high speed for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula part way through.
- Add 1/4 cup of cocoa and 1 cup of the icing sugar to the creamed margarine. Mix on low speed until just combined. Continue adding the sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Once all of the sugar is incorporated, mix on high speed for 5 minutes. Taste the icing. You should not feel the texture of your sugar on your tongue. If you still feel the grains of sugar, continue mixing for another 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the warm, melted chocolate into the center of the mixing bowl. On low speed, begin mixing the chocolate into the icing. Move in small circles, working from the center outwards, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally with a rubber spatula. Continue mixing until the icing is an even chocolate colour.
- Add the 35% cream and continue mixing on high speed for 2 more minutes.
- This frosting is shelf stable. It can be kept in the pantry for 1 week, ready to be used at a moment’s notice. If you’re not going to use the frosting right away, store it in a container, covered with plastic wrap. Press the plastic wrap directly onto the top of the frosting to prevent a crust from forming.
This frosting can be portioned into plastic freezer bags and kept for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Before using, thaw and re-whip to achieve a smooth velvety frosting.