Is your family ready for a little spice? This Creamy Tomato Chicken Curry needs a little time to marinate, but it’s the perfect meal for a cold evening. An amazing collection of spices comes together to satisfy every member of your family’s tastebuds. Try it tonight with Mirage!
Prep Time: 20 minutes + 2 hours marinating time
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
- 120 g / 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 15 g / 5 tsp garam masala, divided
- 20 g / 4 tsp minced garlic, divided
- 12 g / 1 tbsp minced ginger, divided
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 kg / 2 1/4 lbs skinless, bone in chicken thighs, drumsticks or breast (if using chicken breast, cut in half)
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup water
- 56 g / 1/4 cup Mirage margarine, divided
- 150 g / 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 g / 1 tsp cumin
- 3 g / 1 tsp paprika
- 2 g / 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek seeds
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 796 ml / 28 fl oz can crushed tomatoes
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup heavy (35 %) cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, to garnish
- In a dish large enough to hold the chicken pieces, whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons (6 grams) garam masala, 2 teaspoons (6 grams) minced garlic, 1 teaspoon (8 grams) minced ginger and salt.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat with marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours and up to overnight.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Mirage margarine on medium-high heat. Add as many chicken pieces as will fit in the pan without crowding. Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside and juices run clear when pierced with a knife; about 7 – 10 minutes per side (if using both dark and white meat, cook them in separate batches as their cooking times may vary slightly).
- Transfer cooked chicken to a plate and tent with aluminum foil.
- Pour the water into the skillet, scraping any browned bits from the bottom.
- Add 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Mirage margarine and the onions to the skillet and cook until onions soften; about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining garam masala, garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika, turmeric, fenugreek and coriander. Cook, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream.
- Add the chicken pieces and simmer 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.