454g / 2 cups Mirage margarine
120g / 1 cup powdered sugar
200g / 1 cup granulated sugar
500g / 4 cups all purpose flour
285g / 2 cups blanched almond halves
5ml / 1 teaspoon clear almond extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Beat Mirage margarine, almond extract, and sugars in a mixing bowl for 5 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Slowly add in flour. If you do not have a heavy duty stand mixer, you may want to mix in half of the flour with the mixer, then the remaining with a spoon since you probably don’t want to burn out the motor on your hand mixer.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for up to one hour.
- Roll out chilled cookie dough on a floured surface. Roll into a log that is 1 1/2 – 2 inches thick, and cut into coins, with a slight angle on the cut.
- Place the coins on a lined baking sheet, topping each one with an almond, pressed in to the center of each.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Remove them from the oven and cool on a wired rack, until you’re ready to serve them with jam and tea.
- It’s very important to get a high-quality, pure almond extract as it is the highlight and main flavour of this delicate little cookie.