Looking to add more recipes to your repertoire which don’t include dairy? We love making brownies, but we love to make them even more when they don’t have any dairy in them. Make a pan with Crystal margarine, and share them tonight!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 16 brownies
- 113 g / 2/3 cup chopped unsweetened chocolate
- 170 g / 3/4 cup Crystal margarine
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 300 g / 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 ml / 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 94 g / 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp salt
- 120 g / 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° (180°C). Grease a 9 inch (23 centimetre) square pan lined with foil, ensuring an overhang on 2 sides. Grease the foil and set aside.
- Bring 1 inch (2.5 centimetres) of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Combine the chocolate and Crystal margarine in a heatproof bowl that fits snugly over a saucepan (making sure not to touch the water) and stir until the chocolate and Crystal margarine are melted. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs and sugar with a whisk until combined, being careful not beat excess air into the mixture.
- Stir the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Stir in the flour and salt until just combined. Fold in the pecans.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre emerges with only a few crumbs stuck to it, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan before removing and cutting into 16 squares.
- For extra chocolatey brownies, substitute 1 cup (120 grams) of chocolate chips for the pecans.
- Brownies in an airtight container will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for 1 month.