Did you know that pistachios are one of the oldest nuts to be commonly used in the world? They can contribute to a healthy heart and can improve digestion, too. This Dairy-Free Pistachio Bundt Cake takes the power of our favourite nut, and turns it into a dessert with amazing flavour. Try it tonight, and benefit from the power of pistachios!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 38 minutes
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
For the cake:
- 250 g / 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 57 g / 1/2 cup finely ground pistachio
- 12 g / 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp salt
- 180 ml / 3/4 cup almond milk
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 6 g / 1 tbsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 227 g / 1 cup Crystal margarine, melted and slightly cooled
- 133 g / 2/3 cup sugar
- 109 g / 1/2 cup golden yellow sugar, firmly packed
- 3 large eggs
For the frosting:
- 28 g / 2 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 40 ml to 50 ml / 8 to 10 tsp almond milk
- 2 ml / 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 240 g / 2 cups icing sugar
- pistachios, roughly chopped
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350℉ (175℃). Generously grease a 10 cup bundt pan with some softened Crystal margarine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour with the finely ground pistachio, baking powder, baking soda and salt until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, or a large measuring cup, whisk together the almond milk with the lemon juice, lemon zest and pure vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, combine the melted Crystal margarine with the sugar and the golden sugar. Blend together until well mixed; about 2 minutes.
Add the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition before adding another. Add a third of the dry ingredients, mixing on medium-low speed, until just combined. Add in half of the liquid mixture, mix until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Repeat process with the remaining dry and wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Make sure not to overmix.
- Transfer and evenly smooth out the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Place into the preheated oven for 35 to 38 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly, in the pan, for about 10 minutes. With a small offset spatula, carefully run it around the edges. Place desired platter, or a cooling rack, directly on top of the cake. Using oven mitts, quickly flip the cake and rack together. Rap the bottom of the cake pan. Carefully lift the bundt pan off, allowing the cake to cool completely.
For the frosting:
- In a heatproof bowl, over a pot of just simmering water, place the remaining Crystal margarine and almond milk together. Stir until melted. Turn off heat. Add vanilla extract and stir in the icing sugar, about 1/2 cup (60 grams) at a time.
- Stir or whisk until smooth.
- Spoon glaze over the cooled cake. Garnish with chopped pistachios and serve immediately.
- Use a food processor to process the pistachio into a fine grind. Pulse the nuts, so you can ensure that the pistachios are not not over-processed into a nut butter.
- Golden yellow sugar is also known as light brown sugar.