Take a cake, with a dense crumb, poke it with holes, and then soak it in three types of milk and you have one of the most decadent and easy to make recipes to add to your repertoire. Tres Leches cake as we know it today, is a dessert with Spanish origins. Make this for a Cinco de Mayo party, or any day that ends in Y because it’s that delicious!
187g / 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2g / 1 tsp baking powder
75g / 1/3 cup Mirage Margarine
200g / 1 cup granulated sugar
5ml / 1 tsp vanilla extract
5 large eggs
125ml / 1/2 cup whole milk
Cream sauce for soaking (see recipe below)
Whipped Topping (see recipe below)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the Mirage margarine, sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs to the sugar mixture one at a time until well combined.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup of milk, then gently fold in the flour mixture a little at a time.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased cake pan or baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes or until it feels firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool until it feels room temperature.
- Pierce cake with a fork 20-30 times, this will allow the cream to soak through the cake.
- Let it cool in the refrigerator for an additional 30 minutes.
Three Cream Sauce
250ml / 1 cup evaporated milk
250ml / 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
125ml / 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon Triple Sec (optional)
- Whisk together the three milks and the Triple Sec if you are using it.
- Slowly pour the liquid over the cooled cake.
- Refrigerate overnight to allow the cream to fully soak in and stablize.
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon sugar
- In a chilled mixing bowl add heavy cream, vanilla and sugar. Beat on high speed until peaks form.
- Turn the cake out onto a cake stand or plate.
- Spread a thin layer of the whipped cream over the cake.
- Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon or garnish with fresh berries.
- Don’t try this technique with just any cake. The dense nature of the crumb is what allows the cake to stay together while soaked with 3 cups of liquid.