Edamame is a young soybean that is gluten-free and low in calories. This healthy and quick-to-make dip is proof that simple foods are best kept that way.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 – 12 oz / 340 g bag frozen edamame (shelled beans, if they aren’t shelled weigh the beans only)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 44 ml / 3 tbsp Crystal margarine, melted
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil or cilantro, stemmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- pita chips, crackers, or crudite for serving
- Add the frozen edamame to a pot of salted boiling water.
- Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, but save approximately 1/2 cup (118 ml) of the cooking water.
- Add the cooked edamame to a food processor with Crystal margarine, garlic cloves, lemon juice, basil or cilantro, and salt and pepper. Process the mixture, slowly adding in small amounts of the reserved cooking water until the dip reaches its desired thickness (We used about 1/4 cup or 59 ml).
- Continue to process until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with pita chips, crackers, and/or fresh vegetables.
- Try this dip as a spread in your sandwiches.