Sometimes the best dishes are the simplest. This sausage. broccoli and quinoa dish may only have seven ingredients, but it’s a solid 10 on the flavour scale.
Makes: 4 portions
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 4 sausages
- 30 g / 2 tbsp Mirage margarine
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 200 g / 1 cup quinoa
- 500 ml / 2 cups broth of your choice or water
- 113 g / 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 medium head of broccoli
- Roughly chop onions and broccoli. Set both aside separately.
- In a medium sized pot on medium heat, brown the sausage in margarine.
- When sausages are finished browning, transfer to a plate. In the same pot, without washing it, add the onions and another tablespoon of margarine. Sweat onions until transparent.
- When onions are transparent, add quinoa. Stir with onions and toast until nutty smelling, roughly 3 minutes.
- Add broth or water and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to release the flavour left from the onion and sausage. Bring broth to a simmer. Add sausages back into the dish and place a lid on the top of the pot. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, lightly steam the broccoli for 5 minutes. Run under cold water and set aside.
- When quinoa is transparent, remove from heat and transfer to an ovenproof dish. Top with broccoli and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Add the broccoli to a bowl of water with 12 ice cubes in it to stop the cooking immediately and keep its vitamins and bright green colour.