This flaky crust is filled with fresh, salty feta and creamy rich garlic and leek. It’s the perfect snack for a cold winter afternoon, after a day of playing in the snow or traveling to and from work.
1 Leek, green removed and sliced
60 g / 1/4 cup Mirage margarine
60 g / 1/2 cup Feta, crumbled
1 clove Garlic, chopped
0.5 g / 1/4 tsp Black peppercorn, crushed
60 ml / 1/4 cup 35% cream
1 recipe Mirage Flaky Pie Dough
- Prepare the flaky pie dough as directed.<!—link to recipe—>
- Pre-heat your oven to 450°F(215°C)
- Press the flaky dough into the pie shell and line with a piece of parchment. Fill the parchment with dried beans or rice. Place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the shell from the oven, remove the blind baking beans or rice, and place back in the oven at 375°F(185°C).
- Bake the shell until the dough looks dry. Remove it from the oven and set aside until the filling is ready.
- While the shell is baking, begin making the filling. Sweat the leeks in the Mirage margarine with the garlic and black pepper over medium heat. Once the leeks are softened and translucent, remove them from the heat, this should take 2-3 minutes.
- Into a mixing bowl crack open the eggs, and whisk them together with the cream and fold in the cooked leeks and feta.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F(160°C)
- Pour the filling into the crust, and distribute the filling evenly around the dish.
- Place the quiche into the oven and let it bake for 20-30 minutes until the centre has a firm jiggle and the surface is golden.
- If the quiche is getting too dark too fast, turn your temperature down by 25 degrees.
- Once golden and firm, remove the quiche from the oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving, as it will be very hot.
- Serve topped with a little sour cream and freshly chopped chives.
- Quiche doesn’t have to be eaten all at once, re-warm a slice in an oven or toaster oven around 325 F. This will allow the crust to regain a crispy texture while maintaining the flavour of the quiche.