Granola bars are portable tasty treats that can be made at home for a fraction of the cost of those pre-made in the stores. The biggest difference here is you will know what is going into them. Try different mixes of nuts and seeds, this recipe is a base to work from.
120 gm / ½ cup Crystal Margarine, melted, plus extra for lining the pan
300 gm / 6 cups Rolled oats
100 gm / 2 cups Rice cereal
95 gm / 1 cup Almond flour
225 gm / 1½ cups Chocolate Chips
70 gm / ½ cup Whole almonds chopped
190 gm / 1 cup Brown sugar
170 gm / ½ cup Honey
80 gm / ¼ cup Molasses
60 ml / ¼ cup Orange juice
30 ml / 2 tbsp Vanilla extract
Pinch of Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F(175°C).
- In a large bowl, toss the oats with the melted Crystal margarine and salt.
- Spread the mixture over two lined baking sheets,and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until golden brown
- Remove the oats from the oven and set aside. Turn the oven down to 325°F(160°C).
- In a medium pot combine the brown sugar, honey, molasses and orange juice. Heat just until it begins to bubble. Add in the vanilla extract and remove from the heat.
- Combine the oats with the rice cereal, almond flour, chopped almonds and chocolate chips.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- Pour the sugar over the mix of oats and nuts. Stir just until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and press the mixture firmly into the pan.
- Place the tray into the oven and bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
- Allow the tray to cool completely before turning out the large sheet onto a cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the large sheet into smaller granola bars. Wrap bars individually and store them in a cupboard until ready to serve.