A warm summer evening staple, gazpacho is a chilled tomato soup with origins in Spain and Portugal. We decided to take our tomatoes and grill them, which helped add a uniquely smoky flavour to our version of gazpacho. Try your best to chill this recipe overnight, for optimal deliciousness!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 9 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 lbs / 908 g / 5 to 6 medium to large plum tomatoes, washed, dried, and cut in half (lengthwise)
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Crystal margarine, melted
- 3 tsp / 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 g / 1 tsp dried oregano
- 9 g / 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp lime juice
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp honey
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 240 ml / 1 cup tomato juice
- 205 g / 1 1/2 cups cucumber, finely diced
- 127 g / 1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 43 g / 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 5 g / 1 tbsp fresh basil, sliced into thin strips
- 3 g / 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
For Garnish (Optional):
- fresh coriander and/or thyme leaves
- grape or cherry tomato halves
- Preheat grill pan on medium-high to high heat for 10 minutes to ensure pan is hot for tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the melted Crystal margarine with garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Place halved tomatoes onto a baking sheet with the cut-side facing upwards. Brush the cut-side of each tomato with the Crystal margarine mixture. Place tomatoes, cut-side down, onto the preheated grill pan that has been brushed with some melted Crystal margarine. Brush the skins with the remaining Crystal margarine mixture. Grill for about 5 minutes or until grill marks are visible on the halves. With tongs, flip tomato halves over; grill for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Place grilled tomatoes back onto the baking tray to cool; about 5 minutes.
- Place cooled tomatoes into a large bowl. Add lime juice, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper to the tomatoes. With a handheld blender, puree tomatoes until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in the tomato juice, finely diced cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, basil and thyme.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least an hour, preferably overnight, to allow flavours to meld properly.
- Serve cold with a drizzle of cashew sour cream, fresh coriander, basil leaves, and/or grape/cherry tomato halves.
- If tomato juice is salted, decrease the amount of salt by 1/2 teaspoon (3 grams), or to taste.
- Ensure tomatoes are ripe, but still firm.
- If plum tomatoes are not available, any ripe-but-firm tomatoes can be used.
- A barbecue can be used instead of an indoor grill pan. Preheat barbecue on high heat (500℉/250℃) for at least 15 minutes. Once preheated, grease the grill well with melted Crystal margarine. Proceed with recipe.