Lemon curd is a pastry basic that works well as a dessert on its own or in a pie, tart or parfait. It holds well in the fridge for about a week, so you don’t have to eat it all right away. Unless, of course, you want to.
112g / ½ cup Mirage Margarine
5 Eggs, large
125ml / ½ cup Lemon juice (3-5 lemons)
300g / 1½ cups Granulated sugar
Zest of 3 lemons
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together on high the Mirage Margarine, lemon zest and sugar for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing each one in completely before adding the next.
- Add in the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour the mixture into a stainless steel pot and stir over low heat until it starts to thicken and bubble, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Pour through a strainer into a food safe container. Cover the curd with plastic wrap pressed right against the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill the curd right away for at least 3 hours before using.
- Try making the curd with other fruit purees or juices, substituting the volume directly.