Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 200 g / 1 cup dry lentils
- 750 g / 3 cups water
- 55 g / 1/4 cup Crystal margarine
- 190 g / 1 cup minced white onion
- 80 g / 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 200 g / 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 8 g / 1 tbsp chili powder
- 240 g / 1 cup chopped tomatoes (canned is fine)
- 65 g / 1/4 cup ketchup
- 32 g / 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 156 g / 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 20 g / 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Hamburger buns and optional toppings
- Rinse lentils thoroughly and add to a saucepan with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes until soft. Set aside.
- In another large saucepan, heat the Crystal margarine over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, bell pepper, and cook until translucent and soft.
- Stir in the chili powder, cooked lentils, and chopped tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar.
- Add to the lentil mixture and simmer until hot and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Serve on hamburger buns with whatever traditional burger toppings you’d like!
- This recipe would be wonderful on freshly made cornbread as well