With summer months comes summer vegetables. And the most versatile of all would be the zucchini. Green or yellow, it doesn’t matter, they both lend themselves well to both sweet and savoury dishes. Here we go the savoury route, combing chive, paprika, and cheddar with the king of summer veg, to make a dish you can serve along side a great bbq spread.
320g / 2 cups Green zucchini, grated
4g / 1 tsp Salt
190g / 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour
12g / 1 tbsp Brown sugar
2g / 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
2g / 1 tsp Paprika
8g / ¼ cup Chives, thinly sliced
75g / ⅓ cup Mirage margarine, melted
120g / 1 cup Cheddar, grated
- Preheat your oven to 350F (175C).
- Lightly grease a small round baking dish with some extra Mirage margarine.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the grated zucchini with the egg, salt sugar and melted margarine until even.
- Fold the cheddar and chives into the wet mixture. Be sure to save a small amount of grated cheddar to sprinkle on top later.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and paprika.
- Add the dry into the wet and gently mix, just until you can no longer see the flour.
- Once mixed, pour the batter into the prepared pan, top with the reserved grated cheese, and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until completely golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and allow it to rest within the pan until it’s cooled slightly, 25-30 minutes.
- Go ahead and remove the loaf from the pan, and keep it covered once it has been cut into. It should hold at room temperature for about 3 days.
- If you’ve got some yellow zucchini, feel free to use that in place of the green. Or if you’re not a fan of the zucchini, try adding in some grated carrot or sweet potato.
- Love your cheeses? Try adding in your family favourites to replace the cheddar. Let us know about any of your substitutions in the comments below!