These super rich bars have the perfect balance between sweet and salty, with a graham cracker base and a condensed milk layer that caramelizes when baked. Be sure to get a good quality chocolate chip, and fresh nuts as they are the stars of this sweet treat.
165 g / 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
112 g / 1/2 cup Mirage margarine, melted, plus extra for pan coating
1 (14 oz.) can Sweetened condensed milk
300 g / 2 cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
120 g / 1 1/3 cups Coconut, flaked, un-sweetened
90 g / 1 cup Pecans or walnuts chopped
2 g / 1/2 tsp Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with Mirage margarine, and line the bottom and sides with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted Mirage margarine. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the packed crumb mixture.
- In the bowl used for the crumb mixture, toss together the chocolate chips, coconut, salt and nuts. Evenly distribute the mixture over the condensed milk, lightly pressing the mixture into the dish.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned on the surface.
- Loosen from sides of pan while still warm and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars, diamonds or squares, which ever suits the mood and occasion.
- Store the bars in an air tight container for up to a week.
- If you can’t see yourself finishing the bars off in a week, individually wrap them in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 3 weeks
- Play around with the toppings in these bars. Try adding dried fruits like cherries and cranberries, or different nuts and seeds like peanuts or pumpkin seeds