Fig Muesli Granola Bars
Figs are a great source of fibre and when paired with golden oats, nuts and seeds, they make a cereal bar your family and friends will be begging for!
120 g / ½ cup Crystal Margarine, melted, plus extra for lining the pan
300 g / 6 cups Rolled oats
100 g / 2 cups Rice cereal
95 g / 1 cup Almond flour
225 g / 1½ cups Black Mission Figs, lightly chopped
35 g / 1/4 cup Sunflower seeds
35 g / 1/4 cup Pumpkin seeds
190 g / 1 cup Brown sugar
170 g / ½ cup Honey
80 g / ¼ cup Molasses
60 ml / ¼ cup Cider vinegar
30 ml / 2 tbsp Vanilla extract
Pinch of Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F(160°C).
- In a large bowl, toss the oats with the melted Crystal margarine and salt.
- Spread the mixture over two lined baking sheets,and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until golden brown
- Remove the oats from the oven and set aside. Turn the oven down to 325°F(160°C).
- In a medium pot combine the brown sugar, honey, molasses and cider vinegar. Heat just until it begins to bubble. Add in the vanilla extract and remove from the heat.
- Combine the oats with the rice cereal, almond flour, chopped almonds, seeds and figs.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- Pour the sugar over the mix of oats and nuts. Stir just until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and press the mixture firmly into the pan.
- Place the tray into the oven and bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
- Allow the tray to cool completely before turning out the large sheet onto a cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the large sheet into smaller granola bars. Wrap bars individually and store them in a cupboard until ready to serve.