We can’t get enough of this puffed quinoa treat! Not only will this deliciously addictive protein-packed snack keep your energy up throughout the day but they’re also quick and easy to make (bonus!).
Prep Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Yield: 25 squares
- 70 g / 3 cups puffed quinoa
- 71 g / 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 37 g / 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 40 g / 3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (white or black)
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp honey
- 26 g / 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 5 ml / 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Grease and line an 8 x 8 inch (20 x 20 centimetre) square baking pan with parchment paper. Leave a 2 inch (5 centimetre) parchment overhang on either side (for easy unmolding).
- In a large bowl, toss the puffed quinoa, toasted hazelnuts, chia seeds, and toasted sesame seeds together. Set aside.
- In a microwaveable bowl, heat the Crystal margarine at 10 second intervals until fully melted. Stir in the maple syrup, honey, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt until fully combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the puffed quinoa and mix until thoroughly coated. Press and smooth into the prepared pan. Place into the freezer for at least 1 hour, or until set. Cut into 25 squares.
- Puffed quinoa can be found in most health or bulk food store.
- Hemp seeds, or any type of seed, may be substituted for the chia seeds.
- For a more intense cocoa flavour, substitute 1/4 cup (30 grams) of cocoa nibs, in place of the hazelnuts.