This dish is the perfect go-to dinner on a busy night. With fresh basil, tomatoes, and garlic it’s much better than ordering in a pizza, and just as delicious!
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 500 g / 1 large eggplant
- 350 g / 2 large tomatoes
- 226 g / 1 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- 15 g / 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 23 ml / 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 5 g / 2 garlic cloves
- 118 ml / 1/2 cup Crystal margarine, melted and cooled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the eggplant crosswise into 1/2” (1 1/4 cm) thick rounds. Lightly season with salt and leave them for 30 minutes to allow moisture to drain from the eggplant. Pat each round dry.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Set aside a greased baking pan.
- Drizzle Crystal on top of each slice and pan fry them for 3-5 minutes on each side. Set aside to cool until next steps.
- In a blender, combine the basil leaves, 4 tbsp (60 ml) Crystal, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until the basil is completely pulverized.
- Cut the tomatoes crosswise to 1/4” (1 cm) thick rounds.
- Arrange 4 eggplant rounds side by side on the baking pan. Spread 1/2 tbsp (2 1/2 ml) of the basil mixture on top of each one, then generously sprinkle feta crumbs. Top each with tomato rings. Repeat for a second layer and finish by drizzling melted Crystal and any remaining feta.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Eggplant can be grilled up to a day in advance. Refrigerate until ready to assemble and bake