Who said shortbreads have to be sweet? These cheesy morsels of goodness are perfect little lunchtime snacks. Or, impress guests by serving them on a cheese board with wine.
225 gm / 1 cup Mirage Margarine, room temperature
75 gm / ¼ cup + 3 tbsp Grated parmesan
150 gm / 1 cup All-purpose ﬂour, sifted
1 Egg yolk
¼ tsp Smoked paprika
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F(175°C).
- In a large bowl with a wooden spoon, mix together all the ingredients until a rough dough is formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a ﬂoured surface and knead just until the dough comes together.
- Roll the dough into a log that is the thickness of a Toonie. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and let it refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Once the dough is chilled, cut it into rounds about 1cm thick and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place the shortbreads into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, just until the edges start to turn golden.
- Remove them from the oven and try to let them cool before eating them.
- These cookies store well in an airtight container.
- These parmesan cookies work great crumbled in salads to replace croutons, or in soup to replace crackers. They are also perfect when paired with a glass of red wine.