The combination of leeks, which have a tangy, earthy, and powerful flavour combine beautifully with the subdued sweetness of pears. So, naturally, we brought them together! Whether served warm or cold, this Curried Leek and Pear Soup is a leek-connoisseur’s dream.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
For the soup:
- 1 kg / 2 large leeks
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 18 g / 1 tbsp (about 3) garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 20 g / 1/2 jalapeno, chopped
- 12 g / 4 tsp curry powder
- 1 g / 2 tsp fresh or dried thyme leaves
- 1 g / 1 tsp paprika
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 9 g / 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 large pears, cored and cut into 1 inch (2.5 centimetres) pieces
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch (2.5 centimetres) pieces
- 960 ml / 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- toasted almond slices
- Cut the dark green tops and the roots off the leeks and discard. Slice remaining part of the leeks in half lengthwise and then into 1 inch (2.5 centimetres) slices. Place in a large bowl filled with cold water and swirl leeks around to dislodge any dirt. Allow dirt to settle to the bottom and remove leeks with a slotted spoon.
- In a large pot melt Crystal margarine over medium heat. Add the leeks and sautée until soft, 8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, jalapeno, curry powder, thyme, paprika, cumin, pepper and salt and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Add the pears, potato and stock or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then purée with a handheld or standing blender until smooth. Serve hot with desired garnishes.
- Curried Leek and Pear soup is also delicious when served cold. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Apples can easily be substituted for the pears