A holiday favourite around many homes, pumpkin pie has a scent that reminds us of cold days with the family spent huddled around a table with enough food to feed an army. If you’re adventurous, try roasting your own pumpkin for the filling.
30 ml / 2 tbsp Mirage Margarine, melted
500 ml / 2 cups Canned pumpkin purée
175 ml / ¾ cup Dark brown sugar
185 ml / 1⅓ cups 35% Cream
2.5 ml / ½ tsp Cinnamon, ground
1 ml / ¼ tsp Nutmeg, ground
30 ml / 2 tbsp Spiced rum
1 Recipe Flaky Pie Dough
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F (215°C)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to just under ¼-inch thick. Dust the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate with flour and line with dough. Trim off any overhang. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pumpkin filling. Whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, melted Mirage Margarine, spices, and salt.
- Whisk in the eggs. Whisk in the whipping cream. Finish by whisking in the spiced rum. Pour the filling into the chilled pie shell.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400°F (215°C). Lower the temperature to 350°F (175°C) and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the filling puffs slightly around edges, but still has a bit of jiggle in center. Allow the pie to cool completely at room temperature before wrapping in plastic and chilling in the refrigerator.
- Serve with spiced whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- To serve pumpkin pie warm, it is recommended to bake and chill completely, then re-warm in a 300°F (160°C) oven for 15 minutes before slicing.
- If you don’t like spiced rum, replace it with the same measure of vanilla extract.