Looking for a delicious salad that incorporates fall produce? Between roasted sweet potato, tart green apple, crunchy pecans, and peppery arugula – you’ll find each bite to be different from the last. A salad with variety is the key to fun and healthy eating.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
For the salad:
- 1 small sweet potato
- 28 g / 2 tbsp Crystal margarine, melted
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 125 g / 5 cups fresh arugula, washed and dried
- 1 medium green apple, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 35 g / 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
For the dressing:
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 14 g / 2 tsp maple syrup
- 56 g / 1/4 cup Crystal margarine, melted and cooled
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400℉ (200℃).
- Peel sweet potato, quarter lengthwise and cut in slices 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick. Place sweet potato on a baking sheet and toss with melted Crystal margarine, salt and pepper. Roast for 12 minutes and let cool.
- Meanwhile, mix vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and maple syrup in a blender until combined. With the blender running, slowly pour in melted Crystal margarine and blend for another 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the arugula, apple, onion, and sweet potato. Toss with half of the dressing and sprinkle the pecans over top. Serve immediately with the rest of the dressing on the side.
- This salad easily becomes a main course for two. Simply top with your favourite protein such as grilled chicken, fish or chickpeas, and enjoy a healthy dinner.