If you’re finding yourself in a bit of a rush, but need something home cooked tonight, this dish is perfect. You can use vegetables and cheese you have on hand, ingredients that are already in your pantry, and with little prep and cook time, you’re golden.
Makes: 4 sides, 2 mains
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 56 g / 4 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 70 g / 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs or panko
- 20 g / 1/3 cup grated Pecorino or Parmigiano Reggiano, or whatever hard cheese you have on hand
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 450 g / 3 to 4 cups squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2″ (1.27 cm) cubes (1 large butternut squash or 2 large acorn squash)
- Preheat oven to 400º F / 204º C.
- Heat 2 tablespoons / 30 grams Crystal in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and starting to caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Really allow the onions to caramelize at a slow pace, if you don’t have the time to, just sauté the onions until they are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss squash with onions and place in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss breadcrumbs with cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons / 30 grams Crystal. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top squash and onion with breadcrumb mixture and return to oven.
- Turn down oven to 350° F / 176° C. Bake until squash is tender and breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- This recipe works with summer squash or zucchini as well. Combine squash or zucchini with caramelized onions and immediately top with breadcrumb mixture. Bake at 400º F / 204º C for 20 to 25 minutes.