These savoury meatballs, smothered in creamy gravy, can be served as an appetizer or as a main dish. Whatever way you spin it, they’re sure to please.
Makes: 24 meatballs with sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 300 g / 1 1/2 cup white onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 454 g / 1 lb ground beef
- 454 g / 1 lb ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 28 g / 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Mirage margarine, divided
- 250 g / 1/4 cup flour
- 50 ml / 1 cup cream
- 44 ml / 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine onions, garlic, beef, pork, eggs, salt, and pepper in large bowl and mix until combined.
- Roll 2 tablespoons of meat at a time into balls. Set aside on a flat surface or a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Heat a deep sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of margarine. Without crowding, brown meatballs on each side (about 5 minutes per side). Cook in batches to prevent crowding and to get meatballs golden brown.
- In the same pot that you browned the meatballs in, add flour and remaining 1/4 cup of margarine. Cook, scraping the bottom of the pan until bubbly and fragrant. Add cream and turn the heat down to medium. Stir and cook until thickened.
- Add meatballs to this sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve with a tart berry sauce such as lingonberry or gooseberry.