Mix bright citrusy mandarin wedges with sweet, fresh strawberries and you have a breakfast dish perfect for weekend company! Don’t bother peeling enough mandarins for this dish, just crack open a few cans, and drain off the liquid, they work just as well.
225 g / 1 cup Crystal Margarine, at room temperature
50 g / 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
5 ml / 1 tsp vanilla
220 g / 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
90 g / ½ cup Sunflower seeds
1 g / 1/4 tsp salt
1 g / 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 g / 1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 cups Mandarin segments, canned works great
3 cups Strawberries, sliced, fresh or frozen
66 g / 1/4 cup Crystal Margarine, melted
65 g / 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- For the topping, beat 1 cup of the Crystal Margarine and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the margarine mixture and combine until just blended. Wrap and chill while preparing the fruit.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Toss the strawberries and mandarin segments together with the granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup melted Crystal Margarine.
- Pour the coated fruit into an oven safe baking dish. Place the dish into the oven and bake the fruit for 15 to 20 minutes to soften them.
- Once the fruit has baked, remove the crumble topping from the fridge and begin breaking it into bite sized pieces, placing the pieces on top of the warm fruit.
- Return the dish to the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the crumble is a rich golden brown and juices are bubbling.
- Serve warm with your favourite ice cream, whipped cream or Greek yogurt.
- This dish is fantastic when made ahead. Bake everything right to the last instruction, let it cool on the counter and then just reheat the dish in the oven for 1- minutes at 350°F.
- If you can get your hands on fresh strawberries, feel free to use them!