A true North American holiday classic, the pecan tart is the perfect marriage of maple syrup and sweet pecans in a crisp, tender crust.
Makes: one 9 inch pie
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
For the Crust
- 250g / 2 cups all purpose flour
- 70g / ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 170g / ¾ cup Mirage margarine
- 3 egg yolks
For the Filling
- 30 g / 2 tbsp Mirage margarine, melted
- 125 ml / ½ cup maple syrup
- 100g / ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 5ml / 1 tsp vanilla
- 5ml / 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 220g / 2 cups pecan halves
- For the tart dough, begin by combining the flour, sugar and Mirage margarine together in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer until crumbly.
- Add the egg yolks and continue mixing until the dough is about 80% combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and bring together the loose pieces, kneading until the dough is soft and even, with texture similar to shortbread cookie dough.
- Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- After resting, crumble the dough into a tart pan with a removable bottom. Gently press the dough into the bottom of the pan, slowly working to the outside edges. Once you get to the edges, begin pressing the dough up the sides of the tart pan.
- Rest the tart shell in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the tart is resting, pre-heat the oven to 325°F (180°C).
- Blind bake the tart for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges start to take on colour and the bottom looks dry. Remove shell from the oven.
- Adjust the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- In a bowl, prepare the filling. Whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, melted Mirage margarine, vanilla, vinegar, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- Spread the toasted pecans evenly across the bottom of the empty tart shell. Pour the filling into the shell over the pecans. Fill the tart with filling as close to the top of the crust as possible.
- Bake the tart until the filling is puffed and bubbly and the pastry is golden, about 12 minutes.
- Allow the tart to rest for 1 hour on a resting rack, before serving to allow the hot sugar filling time to set and cool.
- For best results make this tart a day before serving. Store it covered out on the counter.
- Want to take this recipe up a notch? Add ½ cup of bitter-sweet chocolate chips with the pecans before pouring in the custard.