With this recipe, you’ll have sweet little sugar cookies that are perfect for decorating with royal icing or just simple, holiday coloured vanilla frosting. The cornstarch in this recipe keeps these cookies soft and moist for quite a few days, allowing you to have cookies on hand anytime people drop in.
226 g / 1 cup of Mirage Margarine, room temperature
60 g / 1/2 cup of icing sugar, sifted
260 g / 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
5 g / 1 tsp Cornstarch
5 ml / 1 tsp Vanilla extract
0.5 g / 1/8 tsp of baking powder
2 g / 1 tsp of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F (160°C)
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the Mirage Margarine on high speed for 3 minutes, until smooth and fluffy, scraping down the sides several times with a rubber spatula.
- Add in the icing sugar, vanilla and salt. Mix on medium speed for 6 minutes, scraping the bowl down with a rubber spatula.
- While the sugar and margarine are creaming, combine the cornstarch with the flour by sifting through a fine strainer.
- Scrape down the margarine mixture once more and add in the dry mixture.
- Mix on low speed just until the dough is combined and even. Over-mixing will make a tough cookie, so stop once the flour is no longer visible.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This will allow the dough to properly hydrate the flour and make it easier to roll.
- Remove from the fridge and roll out onto a floured counter to about 2 cm thick. Cut the cookies into any shape you wish, either with a knife or a cookie cutter.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet with approximately 2 cm of space between the cookies.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes, or until the edges are golden. Be sure to rotate the tray after 6 minutes of baking.
- Transfer the cookies to a resting rack and allow them to cool completely before decorating.
- Serve these cookies decorated with royal icing, or sandwiching a layer of lemon frosting between two cookies.