One dish meals are perfect for families on the run during the holidays. This mushroom and shallot bake has all the components of your traditional breakfast packed into one casserole dish, making it easy to prepare the night before, or take with you on the road.
454 g / 2 cups Button mushrooms, sliced
750 ml / 3 cups shredded potatoes, drained and squeezed
80 g / 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Crystal margarine, melted
300 g / Cheddar cheese, grated
2 Shallots, diced
454 g / 2 cups Cottage cheese
Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Lightly coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with Crystal margarine.
- Place the mushrooms and shallots in a large, deep skillet with 2 tbsp Crystal margarine.
- Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown and the shallots are translucent. Drain and set aside.
- In the prepared baking dish, stir together the shredded potatoes, some salt, pepper and 1/4 cup melted Crystal margarine. Press the potato mixture across the bottom and sides of the dish to form a crust.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs together. Mix the cooked mushrooms, shallots and cottage cheese into the eggs. Sprinkle the top with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the potato and evenly distribute the filling across the potato crust.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into centre of the casserole comes out clean.
- Let the casserole cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- When it comes to holiday mornings, you want to spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying your family moments. Build this dish the night before, but instead of putting it in the oven right away, wrap it with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge overnight. Then in the morning, get up, throw it in the oven uncovered and curl back into bed until it’s ready.