When cooking, leeks offer a great alternative to the strong flavour of onion or garlic. When paired with a hardy vegetable like kale they make the perfect additions to your breakfast. With this dish, you only want the white part of the leek, where the majority of the flavour is hidden away. Gently cook this part in the margarine to unlock this flavour to make this an omelette you won’t forget.
60 gm / ¼ cup Crystal Margarine
40 gm / 1/2 cup Kale, washed and chopped
20 gm / 1/2 cup Leek, thinly sliced, white only
30 gm / 2 tbsp Brie cheese, cubed
3 large Eggs
Salt and pepper for seasoning
- In a large non-stick frying pan with a lid, melt ¼ cup Crystal margarine over medium heat.
- Into the hot margarine, add the sliced leeks. Toss the leeks in the pan to evenly coat with the melted Crystal margarine.
- Stir the leeks occasionally, allowing them to cook and turn translucent. If you find they are browning, turn the heat down. This will take approximately 3-4 minutes.
- While the leeks are cooking, in a small mixing bowl, crack open the 3 eggs, and beat with a fork until combined.
- Once the leeks are tender and translucent, add in the kale and allow the kale to cook for 2 minutes. If the kale lets off a lot of water, drain this liquid and discard.
- With a rubber spatula in hand, pour the egg over the kale and leeks, begin pulling the cooked egg towards the center of the pan allowing the raw egg to spill over onto the exposed pan. Continue this motion around the entire edge of the pan.
- Once the egg is almost done, with just a little raw egg on the top season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle the cubes of brie around one half of the egg.
- Turn off the heat, fold the egg in half over the brie, cover the pan and turn off the heat, leaving the omelette to sit for 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and gently transfer the omelette to a plate to enjoy.