We know that there is rarely a better way to start your morning than with a healthy, and delicious, breakfast sandwich. Served between a toasted English muffin, these patties are exactly what you have been looking for to start your day off right.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 sandwiches
- 1/2 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 green onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large clove garlic
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 8 g / 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 g / 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 g / 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 g / 1 tsp cumin
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 350 g / 1 package firm tofu
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp lime juice
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 45 g / 3/4 cup canned black beans, drained
- 8 English muffins, split and toasted
- 8 cheese slices
- tomato slices
- mixed greens
- sliced avocado
- Preheat oven to 375℉ (190℃). Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Place the onion, bell pepper, green onion and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade; pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
- In a large skillet melt 42 g / 3 tbsp Crystal margarine over medium heat. Add the chopped vegetable mixture and sautée until soft, 3 minutes. Stir in the flour, oregano, turmeric, cumin and chili flakes and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the tofu, lime juice and soy sauce in the bowl of the food processor and pulse until tofu is finely chopped, about 15 times. Add the sautéed vegetables and pulse to combine. Add the black beans and pulse until the beans are roughly chopped.
- Form mixture into 8 equal patties about 3 inches (7.6 centimetres) in diameter. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, flipping the patties over halfway through.
- Serve on English muffins and top with cheese slices, tomato, avocado and mixed greens (or any other favourite toppings).
- The tofu breakfast patties freeze well. Freeze on a baking sheet and transfer to a plastic freezer bag for up to one month. Defrost in microwave on medium heat for a fast and easy breakfast option.