Tofu is a chef’s dream, because of its versatility. When tofu is marinated with sauces and ingredients, it will naturally adopt the various flavours present. The added freshness of cucumber in this recipe results in a tofu dish that is perfect on its own, or as a side to your next asian-inspired meal.
Prep Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
- 1 package 350 g (0,8 lbs) extra firm tofu
- 60 ml / 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar, divided
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp water
- 20 g / 2 tbsp slivered fresh ginger, peeled
- 12 g / 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 12 g / 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 10 ml / 2 tsp fish sauce
- 5 ml / 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 g / 1 tsp orange zest, finely grated
- 5 ml / 1 tsp honey
- 6 g / 1 tsp fine sea salt, divided
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 120 g / 1 cup (1 small) cucumber, sliced thin
- 14 g / 1 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 11 g / 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- green onions, chopped (optional)
- Place tofu onto a plate lined with paper towel. Place another paper towel on top of the tofu and press down gently. Allow to drain for about 15 minutes. Pat dry.
- Slice tofu into 1/2 inch (1.3 centimetres) slices; about 8 slices. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together 3 tbsp (45 ml) of rice wine vinegar, water, ginger, garlic, green onions, sesame oil, fish sauce, soy sauce, orange zest, honey, 1/2 tsp (3 g) salt, and chili flakes.
- Lay the sliced tofu out in a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the tofu. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate for 2 hours, flipping the tofu over every half hour to ensure even marinating.
- Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, thinly slice washed cucumber into rounds. Set aside the rounds in a shallow dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tsp (3 g) of salt. Toss gently.
- Transfer the marinated tofu onto a clean plate. Pour the remaining marinade into a small pot and place onto medium heat until it just begins to simmer. Lower heat and simmer for 2 minutes to take out the “bite” from the raw garlic and ginger. Stir in the rest of the rice wine vinegar (2 tablespoons) and allow the marinade to cool to room temperature; about 10 minutes.
- Pour contents over the sliced cucumbers, cover and place into the fridge to chill; about 15 minutes.
- In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, melt margarine. Once the margarine becomes foamy, place marinated tofu in a single layer into the pan. After 3 minutes, flip and brown the other side; another 3 minutes.
- Arrange sliced tofu into serving dishes and divide the chilled cucumber dressing over the warm tofu. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the tofu and cucumbers. Garnish with additional chopped green onions, if desired. Serve as is, or as a side to an asian-inspired meal.
- To save time, marinate the tofu the day before.
- Fish sauce can be omitted, if unavailable.