Spanish in origin, frittatas are like a baked quiche without a crust, making it a perfect brunch item for those who are dining gluten-free. Just like quiche, you can fill the frittata with whatever fresh vegetables and herbs are available.
60 g / 1⁄4 cup Crystal Margarine
4 firm Roma Tomatoes
1 medium Red onion, thinly sliced
60 g / 1⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese
5 or 6 leaves Fresh basil
6 large Eggs, separated
Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F(160°C).
- Slice the tomatoes into 1⁄4-inch thick rounds.
- Neatly stack the basil leaves on top of each other and roll them into a tight package. With your sharpest knife, slice the leaves widthwise into the thinest strips possible.
- In a large, non-stick, oven-safe frying pan, melt 1⁄4 cup Crystal margarine over medium heat.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and onions to the pan, tossing them to coat with margarine. Season to taste with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Allow the onions and tomatoes to cook without disturbing them. This will give you a nice caramelized edge on the vegetables.
- Meanwhile, beat 3 egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer set on high speed until they reach medium peaks. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, mix the yolks and 3 remaining egg whites together with a rubber spatula. Fold the whipped egg whites into the yolk mixture in 3 parts. The whipped egg whites are added in additions to ensure a voluminous, fluffy frittata.
- Once the vegetables are nicely coloured, sprinkle the thinly sliced basil over them, immediately followed by the fluffy egg mixture. Reduce the heat to low.
- Sprinkle the grated parmesan on top of the egg mixture and allow the frittata to cook on low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Gently transfer the frittata to the oven. Cook until there is a firm jiggle whet the pan is tapped, and the centre no longer looks wet, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the frittata to cool for about 3-4 minutes before serving.
- To serve the frittata, cut it into 6 or 8 wedges while it is in the pan and serve with a pie spatula.