If you are the type of eater who likes many different flavours in one bite, you’ll fall in love with this recipe. Slightly different from traditional pizza, Turkish style pizza is flat bread smeared with sauce and topped with fresh garnish such as lemon, parsley, feta cheese, raw onions, or other favourite garnish. Enjoy and share (or don’t share!) with friends and family.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
For the garlic yogurt sauce:
- 125 g / 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 28 g / 2 tbsp Crystal margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 8 g / 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
For the pizza:
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large green pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 33 g / 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 25 g / 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 g / 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 g / 1 tsp ground paprika
- 2 g / 1 tsp dried oregano
- 6 g / 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Crystal margarine, melted
- 500 g / 1 package (4-piece) flatbread (naan or similar)
- 70 g / 1/2 cup pitted green olives, roughly chopped
- 40 g / 1/4 cup pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- Lemon wedges
- Chopped flat parsley
- Feta cheese
- Raw onion slices
To make the garlic yogurt sauce:
- Using an immersion blender combine the garlic, lemon juice, Crystal margarine and yogurt until smooth. Place in a bowl and stir in the chopped mint; chill in refrigerator.
To make the pizza:
- Set broiler on high. Put red and green peppers on a baking sheet and place under broiler about 4 inches (10 centimetres) from the element. Broil for 20-25 minutes, turning every five minutes to char on all sides (peppers will bubble and turn black in spots). Once well charred, remove the peppers, and place in a paper bag. Allow to steam in the bag for 10 minutes, then remove peppers, seed and chop into large pieces.
- In the bowl of a food processor place the peppers, onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, salt, spices, and 1 tbsp (14 grams) melted Crystal margarine. Pulse until mixture is a slightly chunky paste.
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ (190℃).
- Place the flatbreads on a large baking sheet and brush with the remaining Crystal margarine. With an offset spatula, spread each flatbread with 1/4 cup (58 grams) of the roasted pepper sauce. Sprinkle each with 2 tbsp (45 grams) of chopped olives and 1 tbsp (6 grams) pine nuts or walnuts. Bake until hot and slightly bubbling, 15-18 minutes.
- Remove and drizzle with yogurt garlic sauce. Serve hot with desired fresh toppings.