Scones aren’t just for afternoon tea. Brimming with jam and margarine, these satisfying snacks are great as a mid-afternoon pick-me-up or when running out the door in the morning. Enjoy these right away if you can. If you can’t, try slicing one open, popping it in the toaster and topping with hazelnut spread for a sweet treat.
340 gm / 1½ cup Mirage Margarine, cold
130 gm / ½ cup Dark brown sugar
1 Eggs, large
10 ml / 2 tsp Vanilla extract
500 gm / 4 cups All-purpose ﬂour
8 gm / 1 tbsp Baking powder
2 gm / ½ tsp Baking soda2 gm / ½ tsp Salt
250 ml / 1 cup Buttermilk, have extra for brushing
Granulated sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F(175°C).
- In a large bowl combine the ﬂour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using your ﬁnger tips, rub the Mirage Margarine into the ﬂour mixture until it is the size of small peas.
Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract and whisk them together with a fork.
- Remove the dry ingredients from the refrigerator and pour in the liquid. Gently knead the dough with your hands until it starts to come together.
- Move the dough to a ﬂoured surface and use your hands to shape the dough into a large square about 3cm in height.
- Cut the square into 12 smaller squares. Brush the tops with a little extra buttermilk, and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Transfer the scones to a baking tray lined with parchment, with about 3cm of space in between each scone.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (rotating the tray part way through baking), until the scones are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a resting rack to cool slightly. Enjoy these while they’re still warm.
This recipe is for a basic sweet scone. Try adding the following combinations to the dry mix for new sweet ﬂavours.
2 gm / 2 tsp Orange Zest
180 gm / 1 cup Dried Cranberries, Chopped
Earl Grey Tea & Wild Blueberries
2 gm / 2 tsp Earl Grey Tea
180 gm / 1 cup Dried Wild Blueberries
2 gm / 2 tsp Instant Coffee
180 gm / 1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips