Sometimes it can be hard to find the time to take a moment and enjoy a meal with our loved ones. One pot meals are not only easy to make, but they’re easy to share. This Mexican Casserole is not only alive with flavour, but is a healthy meal that can be enjoyed quickly. Finally, a dish that saves time without sacrificing flavour!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 113 g / 1/2 cup Crystal margarine, divided
- 280 g / 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 500g / 2 medium zucchini, diced into 3/4 in (2 cm) cubes
- 400 g / 2 large green peppers, seeded and cut into 3/4 in (2 cm) pieces
- 12 g / 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans / 30 oz pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 260 g / 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 42 g / 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 8 g / 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 g / 1 tsp dried oregano
- 8 g / 2 tsp chili powder
- 720 ml / 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 240 ml / 1 cup salsa verde or green enchilada sauce
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 2 g / 1 tsp pepper, more to taste
- 12 six inch (15 cm) corn tortillas
- 150 g / 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 150 g / 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 45 g / 1 large jalapeno, thinly sliced
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt 1/4 cup (56 g) Crystal margarine. Add onion and sauté until softened. Add zucchini, green pepper and garlic; cook 10 minutes. Add beans and corn, cooking for another 5 minutes; set mixture aside in a bowl.
- In the same skillet, melt the remaining 1/4 cup (56 g) Crystal margarine over medium-high heat. Add flour, cumin, oregano and chili powder, whisking for 3 minutes. Whisk in the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring, until mixture has thickened; about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and whisk in the salsa verde and sour cream. Add salt and pepper, adjusting to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place 2 tortillas down the centre of a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 centimetre) baking dish. Slice 2 tortillas in half and place 2 halves straight edge out on each side of the centre tortillas. Spread 1/3 of the sauce (about 1 1/3 cup / 320 milliletres) over the tortillas. Top with 1/2 of the bean mixture, followed by 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat with a layer of tortillas, 1/3 of the sauce, the remaining bean mixture and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Finish with a layer of tortillas, the remaining 1/3 of the sauce and the cheese. Scatter slices of jalapeno over the cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes covered. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Make this casserole ahead of time and freeze, well wrapped, for up to one month. Thaw casserole overnight in the refrigerator, then bake for 40 minutes covered and an additional 20 minutes uncovered.