Lemon poppy is a family favourite, packed with fresh, tart lemon and little black dots of seeds. It’s a beautiful cake that is sure to freshen up your day. This variation includes a little whole wheat flour to boost the fibre content making this a healthier sweet indulgence.
112 g / 1/2 cup Crystal Margarine
200 g / 1 cup Golden brown sugar, plus extra for topping
185 g / 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
60 g / 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
4 g / 1/2 tsp Baking soda
4 g / 1/2 tsp Salt
160 g / 2/3 cup Sour cream
4 Lemons, zested and juiced
15 g / 2 tbsp Poppy Seeds, plus extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F(175°C).
- In a large bowl, cream the Crystal margarine and sugar until light and fluffy with a hand held electric mixer, which takes approximately 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs, lemon juice, zest and sour cream and continue creaming for another 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, poppy seeds and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until combined.
- Line a loaf pan with Crystal margarine and parchment. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, using a spatula to press the batter into the corners.
- Sprinkle the tops of the loaf with poppy seeds and approximately 1/3 cup of brown sugar, enough of each just to cover the top. The brown sugar and seeds not only make the loaf look delicious, they also add a delicious crunch to the top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the loaf springs back when pressed lightly in the centre with a fingertip and a wooden toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and gently lift it out of the loaf pan using the parchment. Allow it to rest on a wire rack.
- This cake will keep for 3 days when stored in an air tight container or wrapped in plastic wrap.
- If you can find lemon oil, try adding 2 tbsp to really increase the lemon flavour
- If you want to play around with other whole grain flours try substituting the whole wheat for buck wheat or rye flour for a slightly nuttier flavour.